Connect!

Follow

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thoughtfully Dressed by Krissi Farrimond

I love to use this blog as a way for others to tell their stories about their courageous projects, ideas, and initiatives.  Today, Krissi Farrimond, personal stylist, stylist coordinator blogger at Thoughtfully Dressed shares her story about how she is pushing fashion forward in the name of simplicity and gratitude.

I'm Krissi Farrimond, a personal stylist and style coordinator for a local magazine. I love all things fashion and styling. It's not hard for me to talk about fashion and styling (obviously), but it's really difficult for me to articulate why I like/want to talk about it or what brought me to this place. When I was asked to "guest blog" about myself and my story, I excitedly said yes and then walked away wondering what I would say and wishing I had asked for more time. So, I've been doing some quick soul searching and wondering about me and clothes and my relationship with clothes and why we're such good friends. In the last few days, I have recalled lots of memories telling me I was always headed in this direction, I just didn't know it for awhile.
My poor brother. I made him dress up with me in our Mema's square dancing pettiskirts.
Heaven for me. Not so fun for him, notice his excitement.

Bad quality, but my aunt took pictures of pictures and texted them.
You get the idea, right?
You don't have to ask me to pose twice!

My childhood was tricky because I battled being who I was born to be (a happy, friendly, fun-loving, compassionate dreamer) vs. what the world was projecting back at me: fat, ugly, buck-toothed, unworthy girl. I really had no idea I was any of those negative things until people started to tell me. The hot topic of "bullying" was barely talked about when I was little. Thank goodness this has changed. We (me and any of you who identify with this for any reason) just suffered through. Kids will be kids, right? And they're mean. I experienced different levels of being teased based on my appearance from third grade through high school. I was hyper-aware people were talking about me and making fun of me, but throughout all of that time, I was dressing myself (I insisted from a very young age), and I was wearing whatever I wanted because no matter who "they" told me I was, I still dreamed up outfits, and I thought I looked amazing. (smile here)

3rd grade picture. Thank you Lord, for giving her strength.
One of my earliest memories (1st grade) is about a day when I missed the bus because I took too long to figure out my outfit. I was saved by my friend who randomly called to see if I wanted a ride to school, and I walked proudly out of my house wearing a short white jumper with straps that tied on the top, red wool knee socks and jellies. Top that. (wait, I think my daughter has, many times) For school pictures in 3rd grade, I wore a turquoise sweater with stick people all over it and a strand of plastic beads. (see above) There was no talking me out of those beads. In sixth grade, I "borrowed" my tiny older sister's amazing floral, pleated, strapless jumpsuit after she had already left for school one day (she was a couple grades older than me and in middle school at the time), and I wore it to school where I was promptly asked to put a jacket over it. Bummer, I was inappropriately dressed. I'm so glad there's not a picture of that. In high school, I went through a sweatshirt and leggings phase (this was clearly a misstep) and I borrowed my boyfriend's jeans a few times, long before anybody coined the term "boyfriend" jeans. I wore hats when people weren't wearing hats, and I suffered the comments, but the difference between me getting teased about who I just naturally was and being teased about my fashion choices was that I never cared. Shopping for and getting dressed in an outfit I loved  made me feel confident and happy and allowed me to be who God made me to be: a happy, friendly, fun-loving and compassionate dreamer.  Loving your outfit can be key to having a great time no matter how many insecure hearts you encounter. A friend said to me the other day with the most sincere smile on her face, "I love when I love my outfit." Don't you? It makes everything better.

When I shop, I like to touch everything. I'll walk through a store, throw on a hat or scarf and wear it around while I search for my next treasure. It's like playing dress-up, only the shoes aren't tight, the clothes aren't poorly made and itchy, and they don't get glitter everywhere. I don't buy things I don't love, and that took lots of practice. If you have a closet full of things you love, getting dressed is a pleasure instead of a drag. I'm passionate about people loving their clothes, and the way they feel in them. Nothing feels better than knowing I've helped someone feel like they could (if they wanted) paint the town. All that said, when shopping is your hobby and your job, it's easy to be excessive. I recently resurrected a challenge I did several years ago. When I first started sponsoring a little girl in Thailand, I was amazed and horrified that $38/per month could/would completely change her life. For some reason, I thought to myself, "I spend way more than that on a pair of shoes." So, my friend (who also sponsors a child) and I decided to give up buying shoes for a year. And we did it. Every time I thought of shoes, I thought of Chalisa (my sponsored child). This summer, I started feeling a tug to save more and give more again. A few of my friends and I, for various reasons, decided to self-impose a "Wardrobe Challenge." A fast from buying clothes, shoes and accessories from Labor Day to Memorial Day. It's my goal to always have money on hand when I pull up to a homeless person with a sign so I'm not avoiding eye contact because I have nothing to give. That's a terrible feeling. I want to sponsor additional children, give more to my church, give a whole family Christmas, the list of goals goes on and on. A fast from buying for me, will make a huge difference for others. I'm almost one month in and it's going well. Talk to me next month after I've worn everything in my closet a few times. I might be singing a different tune, but guaranteed, I'll be singing it in an outfit I already own.

                                The outcome of my first event during my "wardrobe challenge."
 To read more about Krissi's adventures please check out her style blog here:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go Krissi!

jemserider said...

It has really fantabulous diary! I always accurately came here from http://klebebh.ch that thoughts to be outstanding gummy helping lift taping in the humankind and it's very expedient.