Connect!

Follow

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Self Portraits: Top 5 Literary Quote Breakdown

This week has been about these headphones, earrings, and my headscarves.  You know I am in creative mode when my headscarves are on my head-everyday.

The "things" that have influenced me this week: vision boarding, Diane Di Prima, prints, and patterns, Shauna Niequiat's Green Well Salad

We had a snow day today.  I went through my favorite books of all time and pulled my favorite quotes!! I find that the best self portraits are found in imagery, but also literary forms.  I get so much inspiration from the words and art of others.  Here are my all time favorites:

“Vulnerability sounds like truth and feels like courage. Truth and courage aren't always comfortable, but they're never weakness.”
― Brené Brown, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead

"Once you become a parent...you automatically carry around, for the rest of your life, an increased likelihood of having your heart broken. And it’s a constant fear that we struggle to put to rest. We can choose to be afraid or we can choose to live. And I choose to live. Because an increased liklihood of having your heart broken also carries with it an increased likelihood of finding yourself the happiest you’ve ever been in life."
-Kelle Hampton, Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected, Chapter 13

“Something that is yours forever is never precious”
― Chaim Potok, My Name Is Asher Lev

“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.”
― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

“I used to be afraid of failing at something that really mattered to me, but now I'm more afraid of succeeding at things that don't matter.”
― Bob Goff, Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World

“Keep all your passions in your life.”
― Austin Kleon, Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative


No comments: