Connect!

Follow

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Human Nature and the Ocean-M. Oliver Style

I had the beautiful opportunity to sit in silence, drink white tea, and read some Mary Oliver today.  This was the New Year's present sent from above. I finished unpacking our house and just wanted to celebrate such an achievement.  This one poem by Mary Oliver's newest book A Thousand Mornings in particular moved me to pieces today.

The Poet Compares Human Nature To the Ocean From Which We Came

The sea can do craziness, it can do smooth,

it can lie down like silk breathing 

or toss havoc shoreward; it can give

gifts or withhold all; it can rise, ebb froth, like an incoming 

frenzy of fountains, or it can sweet talk entirely.

As I can too.

and so, no doubt can you, and you


My favorite tea cup and white tea sitting in window sill today against a very wintery day

Warm Light and Tea Cup










No comments: