Connect!

Follow

Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fingerpaint Chalk Experimentation

So I have to be honest. I get really bored just coloring with straight up markers with Shyla.  This is especially true since being an artist, I am very aware of the amazing amount of media out there used to flair up the act of creating color on to a canvas or piece of paper.  This week she has wanted so desperately to color with me that I decided it was my job as her mother (and for my sanity) to begin to expand my daughter's horizon on the world of coloring beyond markers and crayons.  SoI went into my big stack of art books and pulled out Creative Art for the Developing Child.  I turned to page 78,  Here is what we did:
Click photo to view at a larger size


Materials Needed:
1. Assorted Colors of Chalk
2. Chalk Drawings produced on Watercolor paper
3.White tempera fingerpaint

Results:
After fingerpainting over previously chalked drawings, children will:
1. discover the process of fusion as some of the more heavily chalked area provide a residue of color that mixes with the fingerpaint media, creating new patterns of color.
2. internalize a knowledge of constancy as they discover that chalk, as a media, is less constant than crayon,
-Creative Art for the Deveoloping Child


The end product ended up being a marble like finish.  I think this would be a really fun way to build a background up on canvas or some handmade cards in the future.  I really want to try some fun illustrations on top of this background. 

2 comments:

Katy Clouds said...

I'd be interested in seeing the results too! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, looking forward to reading more from you!

Unknown said...

I added the photo of the final product! Thanks for requesting it :)