Connect!

Follow

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

White Chicken Chili

Spoons Photos: Stock Photography
Reading Bread and Wine over the course of my maternity leave has been a very sweet experience for me.  As usual, Shauna puts the heart of relationship and community at the center of her dinner parties and recipes in this book.  She tells stories about how each recipe represents an experience of in her life.  Food is personal to her.  It tells a story.  
White Chicken Chili
1-1/2 pounds chicken-breasts, tender, or bonless skinless thighs
1 16oz container of salsa
4 cans of white beans
4 cans of chicken broth

Directions
In a Dutch Oven or stockpot (I used the *crockpot*), cook over medium heat until chicken is almost cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add salsa and beans, including bean liquid, and broth.

Bring to a boiling point, then reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally.  Simmer for at least 30 minutes

When I decided to make this recipe, it was in a moment where the idea of going with my friends to celebrate my birthday was exhausting.  Finding a babysitter, going to a restaurant, looking at the clock to deliberate how much longer I could stay out before returning home to my babies sounded like the ghost of my former self trying to perceive myself having fun out and about because that is what I think a full time working mom of 2 does on her 30th birthday, goes O-U-T.  However, I would be lying to you if I told you that sounded like a refreshing idea for this particular lady.  Maybe its because I have a 2 month old or because I have been reading about the beauty of opening up your home to the people you can be messy with---you know---the urban family--  the ones that "live your mess" (as my friend Marissa puts it to me) in this book.  It was probably both.  This year, my friends gathered together around my table in our house, ate the white chicken chili, drank some wine, and played a rousing game of Taboo.  That was enough.  This year I chose love, rest, and grace over frantic, loud, exhausting celebration.  

No comments: